Chubaty Fruit Squares – Ukrainian Recipe
We have a lot of super talented bakers in our parish, and they all love to share their favorite recipes.
This is one of those yummy recipes I received, since I really loved this dessert.
I cut down on the original amount of sugar, since the ready made pie filling I used, is quite sweet. If you wish to make your own filling, which most likely will be less sweet than this one, you may want to add an extra 1/2 cup of sugar to the dough. I prefer it just the way I posted it.
This recipe yields between 16-20 serving pieces, depending on the size of your pieces.
Apple pie filling, but I chopped the apples to smaller pieces, and tried not to use much of the jell in it.
These have a Cherry pie filling, and here again I tried to use more fruit and less jell.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tlbs. lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can (1lbs. 5 oz ) cherry pie filling
- Confectioner sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with the sugar until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, beating well after each.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour with the baking powder and the salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones, until incorporated.
- Grease well a 15 x 10 x 1, or 18 x 12 x 1 inch jelly roll pan, and dust it with flour.
- Use a spoon to scoop dollops of batter onto the pan, placing it all over the bottom of the pan. Now use the back of the spoon to spread the dough evenly. It is helpful to dip the spoon in water from time to time, to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
- Gently score the top of the dough into 16 or 20 squares (avoid cutting too deep into the batter).
- Place a heaping spoonful of filling in the center of each square.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 350 degrees F, for 35 minutes.
- While still in the pan and warm, sprinkle confectioner sugar all over the top of the cake.
- Cool in the pan, then cut up into squares, following the previously set square marks.
- Remove onto a serving platter and serve.
If you wish for a sweeter cake dough, you can add an additional 1/2 cup of sugar, I did not need the extra sugar.
You can make your own filling of sauteed apples with sugar and cinnamon, or use fresh berries mixed with a little bit of sugar and corn starch.