Elisabeth’s Pineapple Swirl Cake – Award-Winning Recipe
The Pineapple Swirl Cake recipe has been on my list of favorite cakes to try for quite sometime, and now I am very honored to finally share it with you.
It was an award-winning “Recipe of the Week”, submitted several years ago by aunt Elisabeth, to Suburban News in Westfield, New Jersey.
This cake requires a 9” x 9” pan, but I think aunt Elisabeth doubled the recipe when she was making it for her guests, because she used a 9″ x 13″ sheetcake pan.
I added cinnamon to my recipe, and baked it longer than originally listed, because my cake was not well set yet after the original 35 minutes of baking.
This is the original copy of the recipe, as a cut out from the newspaper post. As you can figure out from its current condition, it has been used many times.
- 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Drain pineapple well, reserving 1/2 cup of syrup.
- In a medium bowl, cream the shortening with the granulated sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until light and creamy.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the cream mixture, alternating it with pineapple juice at the beginning and ending with it.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2 baking pan, dust it evenly with flour, and pour 1/2 of the batter into the pan.
- Spread the drained pineapple over the batter, and pour the remaining batter over the pineapple.
- In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar with the melted butter, then mix in the coconut flakes, cinnamon and walnuts. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the toothpick test is clean.
- Remove from the oven, place the pan on a cooling rack until fully cooled off.
- Cut to serving pieces, and enjoy!