Fruit Filled Crepes
One of my favorite recipes from my mom is a recipe for crepes. She usually filled them with creamed and sweetened, farmer’s cheese. I like my crepes filled with fresh fruits, or fruit preserves ( I use Smucker’s Sugar-Free Fruit Preserves), served with fruit syrup (also by Smucker’s), and whipped cream. This dish may be served as a light main course, or as a dessert, and always as a perfect snack.
This recipe yields 8-10 crepes (using a 6 – 8-inch pan).
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk, warm or room temperature
- 3 Tbs. water, warm or room temperature
- 2 Tbs. melted butter (optional)
- ½ cup sifted flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying (or butter)
- Fresh fruits, chopped and lightly sweetened, or your favorite fruit preserves
- Fruit syrup
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Beat the eggs until light and creamy (I use a hand mixer for 3 minutes)
- Add milk, water, sugar, salt, vanilla extract.
- If you are using butter, mix the melted butter with milk before adding it to the egg mixture.
- Mix in the flour until a smooth and thin batter forms,which will pour easily.
- Rest the batter for a few minutes (5-10 min)
- Use a small frying pan, about 6 - 8 inches in diameter.
- Oil (or butter) lightly the frying pan (about 1 tsp), and heat well in medium heat.
- Pour a few tablespoons of the batter into the pan, just enough to give it a thin coating (I use a small gravy ladle).
- Tilt the pan back and forth to spread the batter evenly.
- Cook the cakes over a moderate heat, and when golden on the bottom and set on top. Turn them over and fry on this side for a few seconds to a golden color.
- Remove from pan and place on a warm plate, to keep them warm.
- Oil the pan lightly after each use ,if needed, and repeat the above frying technique until all the batter is used up. If the batter begins to get a little thicker, you may mix in a little more milk or water.
- Use one crepe at a time, placing it on a plate with the darker side up.
- Spread each crepe with your favorite filling (creamed cheese, fresh fruits, fruit preserves).
- Lift one end of crepe and roll up, jelly roll style. You can also make them into wedges by folding in half, then side to side.
- Repeat above process with all the remaining crepes.
- Serve warm crepes with syrup and whipped cream, side of fresh fruit, or fruit.
- If you wish, you can melt some butter in a pan and lightly brown the folded crapes on each side for crispness.
.Some cooks prefer to fry their crepes on one side only, without turning them over to keep them more tender, but fry them on the other side after they are filled and folded.
Also, if you use butter in your crepes, it is better to mix the melted butter with the warm milk before adding it to the egg mixture.