Fruit Filled Crepes
One of my favorite recipes from my mom is a recipe for crepes. She usually filled them with creamed and sweetened, farmer’s cheese. I like my crepes filled with fresh fruits, or fruit preserves ( I use Smucker’s Sugar-Free Fruit Preserves), served with fruit syrup (also by Smucker’s), and whipped cream. This dish may be served as a light main course, or as a dessert, and always as a perfect snack.
This recipe yields 8-10 crepes (using an 8-inch pan).
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 Tbs. water
- ½ cup sifted flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fresh fruits, chopped and lightly sweetened, or your favorite fruit preserves
- Fruit syrup
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Beat the eggs until light and creamy (I use a hand mixer for 3 minutes)
- Add milk, water, sugar, salt, flour, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until smooth. Rest the batter for a few minutes (5-10 min)
- Use a small frying pan, about 8 inches in diameter.
- Oil lightly the frying pan (about 1 tsp), and heat well.
- Pour a few tablespoons of the batter into the pan, just enough to give it a thin coating (I use a small gravy ladle).
- Tilt the pan back and forth to spread the batter evenly.
- Cook the cakes over a moderate heat, and when lightly browned on the bottom and firm to touch on top (do not turn over, to ensure tenderness). You may turn them over for a few seconds so the batter sets well on both sides, if you wish.
- Remove from pan and place on a warm plate, to keep them warm.
- Oil the pan lightly after each use, if needed, and repeat the above frying technique until all the batter is used up.
- Use one crepe at a time, placing it on a plate with the browned side down.
- Spread each crepe with your favorite filling (creamed cheese, fresh fruits, fruit preserves).
- Lift one end of crepe and roll up, jelly roll style. You can also make them into wedges by folding in half, then side to side.
- Repeat above process with all the remaining crepes.
- Serve warm crepes with syrup and whipped cream, side of fresh fruit, or lightly browned on both sides in a warm pan with melted butter, if you prefer a crispier texture.