Halushky (Ha-loosh-ky) – Vegetarian Recipe
Here is another recipe for my vegetarian friends, and one I like preparing for my family on meatless days, especially during Lent.
It requires only a few ingredients, and is quick and simple to prepare, especially if you use store-bought pasta.
If you wish to make your own pasta, which is quite easy and quick, please check out this link for home-made pasta.
This recipe serves 4-6.
- 1 head of green cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 tsp. Maggie Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cooked pasta (for home-made pasta, see recipe below)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese, or your favorite shredded cheese
- Remove and discard a couple of the outer leaves from the head of cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage in 4 quarters.
- Cut out the core from each quarter.
- Chop up the cabbage, coarsely.
- Place cabbage in a pot filled with cold water (enough water to cover the cabbage).
- Add 1 tsp. of salt, bring it to boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, or until the chunky parts of the cabbage are semi-cooked (not to overcook it, or it will turn into mush).
- Remove from heat, and pour out onto a strainer to drain.
- Another way to cook the cabbage is to mix the raw chopped cabbage with the sauteed onions and carrots, cover with a lid, and steam this way for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how soft you like your cabbage. Stir occasionally to prevent from scorching on the bottom. This method will retain a more pungant taste in the cabbage, and turn it to a light brown color.
- Add 2 Tbs. of canola oil (or butter if your diet permits it) into a frying pan, and heat.
- Add chopped onions, and sauté to a golden color.
- Add shredded carrot, and celery seeds, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the cabbage to this saucepan, add Maggie Seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste, mix all together and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta, and fold in gently with the rest of the vegetables and the chopped dill (if using).
- You can mix in some of the Parmesan Cheese into the Halushky now,or offer it at serving time.
Some people prefer their Halushky more creamy, so they serve it with a side serving of sour cream, or Ranch Dressing.
Also to spice it up a bit, you can add paprika, Apple Cider Vinegar, a few flakes of crushed red pepper, or any of your favorite seasonings.