Homemade Dog Biscuits – Whole Wheat and Bacon
I never thought I would be baking for pets, but here I am, making treats for my kid’s dogs.
It all started by finding doggie treats pictures on Pinterest (click here to view my board pictures) and pinning them on my Pet TLC board.
Also, being as frugal as I am , I decided to try making some for our family dogs.
My son’s dog Roxy was visiting us for few weeks, so instead of buying special treats for her, I whipped up a fresh batch of Bacon Dog Biscuits, and plan to try other recipes in the future.
Believe me, I was a little skeptical about this experiment, but figured if others make these for their dogs, then it should be safe for our dog.
I had all the necessary ingredients at home, so there was no stopping me from this project. Roxy had her nose up in the air the whole time these treats were baking, and filling up my kitchen with the bacon aroma.
She absolutely LOVES them. These are so easy to make. Very fresh, made with all wholesome ingredients (good enough to sample by humans… that is if my little grandson were to grab one by accident. I definitely would not feel the same way about the manufactured ones).
Also not to mention the savings, by not driving to the pet store to purchase some there (who knows how long ago they were made, and under what conditions…maybe even in some foreign country….), plus they are not cheap by any means.
This recipe yields 30 biscuits, about 4 x 1 1/2 inches.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk ( I used skim)
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 Tbs bacon fat (I saved the fat from frying up 1/2 lbs of bacon for our breakfast) see TIP below.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used unbleached)
- In a medium bowl mix the egg with milk and water, until incorporated.
- Mix in bacon fat.
- Gradually mix in the whole wheat flour, until dough forms.
- Work the dough a little (2 minutes), on a working surface.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut out biscuits (I don't have special dog treat cut outs, so I used medium size gingerbread woman cookie cutter).
- Repeat the process until all dough is used up.
- Please biscuits on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container, or a zip-lock bag for a week, or pack in a freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you do not have bacon fat, you can always use oil, or some bacon fat and some oil.
8 thoughts on “Homemade Dog Biscuits – Whole Wheat and Bacon”