Mom’s Favorite Pork Chops – Eastern European Recipe
I loved my mom’s cooking. She had limited resources, but always managed to prepare delicious meals for our family and friends.
I inherited her love of cooking and baking, and am a very lucky recipient of her hand-written recipes. She loved collecting and trying different recipes, as much as I do.
The family tradition continues, as my daughter and granddaughter also enjoy culinary arts.
Today I will share her recipe for my favorite pork chops smothered with veggies, and served with home-made varenyky (pierogies).
This recipe yields 6 servings.
- 6 pork chops, center cut with a small bone
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I use unbleached flour)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning (my addition)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded on a large eye grater
- 2 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, julienne (my addition)
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup water
- Wipe the meat with wet paper towel, place it on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap to prevent spatters.
- Use a meat mallet and pound the chops on both sides, to tenderize the meat. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl, garlic powder, paprika, and Italian Seasoning.
- In a paper plate place the flour mixed with salt and pepper.
- In another paper plate place the bread crumbs.
- Place a frying pan on the stove, and warm up 2 Tbs of Canola oil.
- Dip each pork chop in the flour mixture, then in the beaten egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs.
- Place them in the hot oil, and brown lightly on both sides, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped onions to the pan, and saute until translucent.
- Mix in the carrots, celery and peppers with the onions.
- Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil, grease lightly with oil, spread the veggies over the bottom of the pan.
- Place the pork chops over the veggies.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of water over the chops.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminium foil, and bake chops for 35 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake 10 minutes longer, to crisp up the chops.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, place the chops and veggies on a serving platter, and serve with your favorite side dish ( potatoes, rice, pasta), or varenyky (perogies), like my mom did.