Pasta e Fagioli – Light Recipe
This cold weather calls for a cup of hot, hearty soup, so Pasta e Fagioli is a perfect solution.
Being of Eastern European background, I enjoy homemade soups anytime, but especially on cold winter days.
Pasta e Fagioli, is one of my favorite Italian soups, so today I am posting its lighter version recipe, made with ground turkey, less beans, and low fat cheese.
Pasta e Fagioli - Low Fat Recipe
- 1 lb. Turkey, ground
- 4+ cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth (32 oz)
- 1 tsp. Basil, dried
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 30 oz. Crushed Tomatoes (2- 15 oz cans)
- 2 Tbs. Tomato Paste (I use Contadina Italian Style)
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 oz can of Great Northern Beans, rinsed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp.Oregano, dried
- 3/4 tsp.Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbs. Dry Wine (red or white)
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Low fat cheese, shredded (Swiss, Havarti, Gouda)
- 2 cups cooked pasta (small cut - Elbow, Ditalini, Shells)
- Place 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a sauce pan, add ground turkey, and saute for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain and discard any excess fat. Remove meat from the pan and set aside.
- Add another Tbs. of olive oil to pan, add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and leeks, and saute 1 minute.
- Add carrots and celery, and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Mix veggies with ground turkey. Set aside.
- Pour the Vegetable or Chicken Broth into a 6 quart pot, and bring to boil.
- Add the turkey/veggie mixture, and bring to boil.
- Turn the heat to medium, and continue simmering.
- Add the Crushed Tomatoes, Beans, Oregano, Thyme, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, and wine.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix tomato paste with 1/2 cup of water, and add to the soup. Simmer 2 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove and discard Bay Laves.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with 2 Tbs. of pasta per serving, topped off with 1 Tbs. of shredded cheese.
To make this recipe even lighter, this soup may be served without any pasta. It still tastes wonderful.....very full body and delicious.