Strawberry Mousse Cake – Recipe
It’s quite simple to prepare, since it requires ready-made Lady Finger cookies, cake mix, whipping cream and fresh strawberries.
If you wish, you may prepare your own sponge cake from scratch, but this time I decided to use a cake mix.
Also, you may use the Lady Finger cookies as they are, or trim them off to the level of the cake, as I did.
This cake is best served the same day, or the next day, at the latest, otherwise it will lose its freshness and texture.
- 1 round 9" vanilla sponge cake, cut in half horizontally, and trimmed off 1/2 inch around the edges)
- 1 box of Lady Finger cookies (I used up 22 pieces)
- 2 Tbs. Strawberry Jam, melted
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 Tbs. granular sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin (I used Knox brand)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Puree 1/2 of the strawberries in a food processor, or a mixer. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Mix in the strawberry puree. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix gelatin and milk, and heat it until gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour in the strawberry mixture and continue heating until it all blends together.
- Remove the mixture from heat, and place the saucepan in cold water, to cool off to room temperature.
- Using a mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold it into the cooled strawberry mixture. Set aside.
- Dip one end of the Lady Finger cookies into strawberry syrup, or melted jam.
- Line a 9 inch spring form pan sides with Lady Finger cookies (dipped side down), and cover the bottom of the pan with first layer of sponge cake (as shown above).
- Slice some of the remaining strawberries in half, and arrange on top of the first layer of the sponge cake.
- Pour half of the mousse over the sliced strawberries.
- Place the 2nd layer of the sponge cake over the mousse layer.
- Pour the remaining mousse over the cake layer, and smooth it out evenly.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, to set.
- To decorate the top of the cake, arrange the remaining strawberry slices over the top of the mousse.
- Dip a pastry brush in melted strawberry jam, and brush over the top of the layered strawberries. I also brushed some melted jam over the trimmed tops of the Lady Finger cookies.
- Keep refrigerated, until ready to serve.