Chicken Cordon Bleu – Recipe
You can use plain chicken breast, but I prefer a more flavored taste, so I marinate it for an hour, or overnight, in an Italian Salad Dressing. For simplicity and ease, I also use Campbell’s Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup, for the sauce. If you have the time, you can make your own sauce to use in this recipe.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices of smoked ham(Ham of the Bone, or Smoked Virginia Ham, from the Deli)
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tsp of deli mustard
- Italian Salad Dressing
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Flavored breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup (or Cream of Mushrooms)
- ½ cup of heavy cream, or whole milk
- ¼ cup of white wine (optional)
- Italian seasoning
- 4 toothpicks, or string
- Trim off all fat from the chicken breast.
- Spread the breasts on a cutting board, cover with clear plastic saran wrap, and pound with a meat mallet to a ¼ inch thickness. (I like to place the chicken with the clear membrane side down, to keep it intact during this process).
- Place the chicken in a large enough container, and pour the Italian Dressing, or marinate, over it.
- Move the chicken around, to coat all pieces evenly.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for an hour, or overnight.
- Lay each piece of marinated chicken on a work surface.
- Place one piece of ham and one piece of cheese on top of each breast (you might fold the ham and cheese in half for a better fit).
- Spread ¼ tsp of deli mustard over the ham/cheese slices.
- Roll up from the widest end towards the opposite end.
- Fasten with tooth pick, or a string.
- Dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with garlic powder.
- Beat one whole egg with a tablespoon of water, salt and pepper.
- Dip the floured chicken in the egg, then coat with flavored breadcrumbs, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, place the chicken roll ups in the hot oil and fry to a golden color, turning gently.
- In a casserole dish, pour 1/4 cup of water on the bottom, and arrange a single layer of the browned chicken rolls.
- Remove the toothpicks, or cut off and remove string.
- Mix the Cream of Chicken soup with the sweet cream (if you are using wine, add the wine, and mix well).
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes before serving.
I like to serve this chicken with garlic mashed potatoes, and cooked green vegetables.
If you love mushrooms, you can saute some mushrooms with onion and garlic, and place them on top of the chicken rolls before baking, or even just before serving.