Suburban Potato Salad – Recipe
It makes a very nice addition to other party foods, as well as a side dish for lunch, dinner, picnic, or barbecue.
This recipe makes about 6 cups of salad.
- 13 red skin potatoes (about 4lbs), cooked (aldente)
- 2 Tbs. onions, chopped
- 1 cup green peas, cooked (aldente)
- 1 cup carrots (cubed ¼ inch), cooked (aldente),
- 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ green apple, peeled and cubed (¼ inch)
- 2 Tbs. minced Claussen Pickles
- 1 Tbs. chopped dill (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Hellmann’s Light Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Light Sour Cream (or Oikos Greek Organic Plain Fat Free Yogurt)
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2Tbs. Claussen Pickle brine
- Wash the potatoes, leave skin on, cover with cold water, bring to boil and cook until semi-cooked (they should feel firm, when testing the center with a toothpick).
- Remove potatoes, drain, and cool off with cold water.
- Peel the potatoes, by scraping the peel off, and removing all the eyes.
- Cut into small (1/2 inch) cubes.
- Add onions, green peas, carrots, eggs, pickles, apple, dill, salt and pepper.
- Fold in gently.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard and pickle brine.
- Pour over potato salad and fold in gently (do not over mix, as not to break down the vegetables).
Make sure not to over cook the potatoes, carrots and peas, so that the salad does not become mushy, during mixing time.