Zucchini Casserole – Vegetarian Recipe
I already shared the story about my zucchini crop this year, so now it’s a perfect time to share a zucchini recipe.
I was thinking of posting a Zucchini Bread recipe, but I have been baking a lot lately, so a vegetarian dish sounded more appealing to me.
My sister might like this recipe as well since she just told me that she is contemplating becoming a vegetarian.
I could be a vegetarian most of the time, but I think I occasionally would miss my poultry and pork dishes.
My mom loved zucchini sauteed with butter, onions, garlic, and some Italian spices.
Today I will share this yummy recipe for Zucchini Casserole with tomatoes, cheeses, and Italian spices.
One recipe fills a 9″ x 13 ” casserole dish.
- 2 medium zucchini (8 inch long), sliced into thin discs (1/8 inch thick)
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced into thin discs (1/8 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dry basil (1/4 cup fresh, chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbs. butter (or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine the Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Grease the casserole dish, or spray with a cooking spray.
- Divide the sliced zucchini and sliced tomatoes into two equal parts.
- Arrange the first half of the zucchini slices in the casserole dish, covering the whole bottom.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese mixture over the zucchini layer.
- Arrange the first haft of the sliced tomatoes over the cheese sprinkled zucchini.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese mixture over the tomato layer.
- Repeat the zucchini, tomatoes, cheese, layers again.
- Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter, over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent (2 minutes).
- Add the chopped garlic and sautee another minute.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the seasoned bread crumbs, and mix until the butter is totally absorbed and onions are mixed in.
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly all over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Best served fresh, while the topping is nice and crunchy.
Still tasty the next day, but the bread crumb topping is picking up moisture from the veggies.
6 thoughts on “Zucchini Casserole – Vegetarian Recipe”