Twenty Five Meatless Meals For The Great Lent
Eastern Rite Catholics always begin their First Day of The Great Lent on Monday, rather than Wednesday.
The Roman Catholics have until Ash Wednesday, for The Great Lent to begin.
This period of 40 days, ending on Easter Sunday, calls for increased spiritual awareness, humbleness, and meatless meals on Fridays, and optional on Wednesdays.
Cooking meatless meals a few times per week might sound challenging for those who are used to cooking with meat most of the time, hence Suburbangrandma is here to offer TWENTY-FIVE meatless meals suggestions with pictures and links to the corresponding recipes.
PLUS, this link to another post with additional meatless recipes with pictures……such as Avocado Egg Salad, Gluten-Free Varenyky, Zucchini with Goat Cheese Fritter...etc.
- Varenyky (Perogy, Pierogi) – Filled Dumplings.
- Palushky – Potato Dumplings, also known as Lazy Perogy, or Gnocchi
- Halushky – Pasta with cabbage.
- Vegetarian Holubtsi – Cabbage Rolls.
- Crepes – Nalesnyky.
- Tuna Melts – warm, open-face sandwiches.
- Veggie Burgers – very tasty and healthy.
- Tomato Soup – homemade version.
- Fruit Filled, Steamed Dumplings – so light and fluffy.
- Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna – much lighter than the traditional pasta.
- Ukrainian Traditional Borscht – Red Beet Soup.
- Pasta with Mushrooms – quick and easy.
- Grilled Salmon – very tasty, even if seafood is not your favorite choice.
- Homemade Apple Fritters – not just for breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Palushky – gnocchi.
- Pasta with stir-fry veggies – light and tasty.
- Sorrel Borscht – Shchav/Shavel Soup.
- Easy Red Beet Borscht – use Veggie Broth for vegetarian version.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – use Veggie Broth for a vegetarian version.
- Corn Potato Soup – use Veggie Broth for a vegetarian version.
- Stuffed Green Peppers – with Rice and Mushrooms.
- Stuffed Red Peppers – Bulgar (replace turkey with veggies).
- Zucchini Casserole – so good and simple.
- Potato Balls – Knedle.
- Potato Pancakes – suitable as a main course with side dishes.