Ukrainian Meatballs with Mushrooms – Recipe
Eastern Europeans like their meatballs served with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and a side dish of well seasoned sautéed cabbage.
You might think this is a strange combination, but it’s just a matter of acquiring a taste for it, and loving it.
Meatballs and cabbage stew is another interesting dish you might think is different, yet very tasty.
Today I will share my recipe for the Ukrainian Meatballs with Mushrooms.
This recipe yields 4-6 servings.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground meat (I prefer meatloaf mix - pork/beef/veal)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbs. olive or canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced (trim off the stem ends)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. Canola or Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. Dill weed, fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp. Maggi Seasoning, optional
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, egg, milk, seasoning, salt, pepper and Parmesan Cheese. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, and saute the onions, until translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic, and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add onion to the seasoned mixture.
- Mix in the meat, to incorporate all ingredients into uniform paste.
- From 1.5 inch size meatballs, and place on a cookie sheet lined with aluminium foil, greased with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 10 minutes on each side, turning once.
- Remove from oven, and transfer meatballs into a medium pot. Set aside for now.
- Heat oil in a saucepan
- Saute onions until golden.
- Add the chopped garlic, and saute a minute longer.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and saute until they begin to release their juices (5 minutes), stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small cup or bowl, combine the cream with flour, to form a smooth mixture.
- Mix the cream/flour mixture with the mushrooms. Bring to boil.
- Pour mushroom gravy over meatballs, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Season with Dill Weed, and Maggi seasoning.
- Serve hot, over mashed potatoes, or your favorite pasta.