Valentine Cookies – Recipe
They are very delicate, delicious, and quite simple to make.
Your sweetheart will definitely be impressed with your baking skills, and best of all, you both can enjoy them together.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened at room temp
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Strawberry jam for filling
- In a large mixing bowl, blend softened butter, egg yolks and eggs.
- Mix in the lemon rind, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Mix flour mixture into the egg mixture, until well blended. You can use a mixer, or work the dough by hand.
- Cover the dough, and keep it refrigerated for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Once chilled enough, work with a 1/4 of the dough at a time.
- Massage the dough in your hands, for a minute or so, to soften it.
- Place it on a floured work surface, flatten slightly, flour lightly on top, and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Cut out a circle, or a small heart, in the middle of 1/2 of the cookies, so the jam will show through, once filled and sandwiched together with the whole cookies.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 350 degrees F, for 10-15 minutes, or until set, and the edges are lightly golden, not browned.
- Remove baked cookies onto a wire cookie rack, to cool completely.
- Spread a thin layer of jam on the whole cookie, and top it with the cookie with a cut out circle or heart.
- Press together gently.
- Store in an air tight container, in a cool place.
- Before serving, sprinkle tops of cookies with powdered sugar.
These cookies freeze well. Place them in a zip-lock freezer bag, and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in the same bag, in a refrigerator, for at least 12-24 hours.
Happy Valentine’s Day!