Butter Cookies – Recipe
I received this recipe from my sister in-law, and they are my grandson’s absolute favorite cookies.
I already posted this recipe under a different heading, but will rewrite it here for your convenience.
This recipe yields at least 48 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
- 3/4 lbs. butter (3 sticks), softened at room temp
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Strawberry jam for filling
- In a large mixing bowl, blend softened butter, egg yolks and eggs.
- Mix in the lemon rind, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Mix flour mixture into the egg mixture, until well blended. You can use a mixer, or work the dough by hand.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Work with one dough ball at a time, massage the dough in your hands for a minute or so, to soften it and to flatten the ball.
- Now place it on a lightly floured work surface, flour lightly on top, and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Cut out a circle in the middle in only 1/2 of the cookies, so the bottom cookie will be whole and the top will have an opening to show the jam from the layer below. ( I use the large end of a cake decorating tip as the cut out tool).
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, for 10-12 minutes, or until they set, and the edges are lightly golden, not browned.
- Remove baked cookies onto a wire cookie rack, to cool completely.
- Spread a thin layer of jam on the whole cookie, and top it with the cookie with a cut out circle.
- Press together gently.
- Store in an air tight container, in a cool place.
- Before serving, sprinkle tops of cookies with powdered sugar.