Vera’s Blueberry Muffins – Recipe
Vera is a friend of mine who is an excellent cook and a wonderful baker. I love all her recipes, and she shares them with anyone who is interested in trying them out.
Today I will share her recipe for Blueberry Muffins which are simple to make, require a few basic ingredients, and absolutely melt in your mouth. She suggests mixing anything you wish into the batter (fruits, berries, nuts, chocolate chips….), and tweaking the recipe to your preference.
I used blueberries, and also added some vanilla extract as well as lemon zest to my version of this recipe. I also prepared a streusel topping to add a finishing touch.
I used a cupcake pan and cupcake liners hence making 10 cupcake size muffins.
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I use unbleached Gold Medal)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (or any of your favorites), rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl milk, beaten egg, and melted butter, mix to incorporate.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only to moisten. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill with batter 3/4 full.
- I used 10 cupcake liners.
- If you wish to have the topping, then mix all the topping ingredients to form crumbs, may need a little more flour is not crumbly enough. Sprinkle crumbs on top of each muffin before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes on a middle oven rack.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve fresh, or store in the fridge in an airtight container.