Walnut Crescents – Recipe
These Walnut Crescents are another favorite cookie recipe of mine. This dough is very similar to the Butter Balls recipe, but instead of almonds it uses ground walnuts.
It is a very simple recipe to make, but once baked, these cookies are very delicate and fragile For best results it is best to leave them on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes after baking to cool off, before gently removing them onto a cooling rack.
This recipe yields about 48 pieces.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of walnuts, ground
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixer, and mix until fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add flour and walnuts, until well incorporated.
- Form into 4 logs, 2 inches in diameter.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Place one log at a time on a lightly floured work area, and cut into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- Using your fingers,gently roll each circle into a 1/2 inch thick log, about 2 inches long, and shape it into a crescent.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart to allow for spreading during baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, for 8-10 minutes, until the crescent tips start to get a gentle gold color.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently lift each cookie and place it on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Before serving, roll crescents in powdered sugar to cover generously.