On our last visit to our youngest son, we snacked on a very tasty dip he prepared, among a nice spread of various other hors d’oeuvres. It was a great feeling to see that he is becoming a great host, and practices his recipes on his parents.
If you have adult children, you will agree that it makes you feel rewarded, seeing them grow up into responsible, self-sufficient individuals. It confirms that you have done a good job, and now it’s their time to shine, and show it off.
Now back to the dip. It was his home made Greek Tzatziki Dip, for which he shared his recipe with me to try at home, and to post for all of you, in case you have never tried making it yourself.
It is very refreshing any time of the year, but even more so during hot summer days. It may be served as a dip with veggies, chunks of Pita Bread, with Gyros or Souvlaki, or as a salad dressing.
- 1 cup of cucumber, chopped of shredded (one large cucumber-seeds removed, or 2-3 small ones ,with seeds, as these have very small and tender seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (garlic chopper is perfect for this job)
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt, plain (or sour cream if you don’t like yogurt)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black, or white pepper, ground
- 1 Tbs dill weed, chopped
- Peel the cucumbers, rinse under running water, pat dry.
- Finely chop, or shred on a large eye hand grater, or food processor.
- Salt cucumber and place in a strainer over a bowl, to drain any extra juices.
- Mince the garlic.
- Chop the dill.
- Place cucumbers in a mixing bowl.
- Add garlic, dill, pepper, salt,olive oil, lemon juice, and Greek Yogurt.
- Mix well with a spoon, to fold in nicely.
- Cover and chill for about an hour.
Serve as suggested above.
TIP: If you are not very fond of Dill, you may use chopped, fresh or dried mint leaves.
- Homemade Pickles – Very Simple Recipe
- Lemon Basil Hummus – Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe
- Green Beans Vinaigrette – Vegetarian Recipe
- Cucumber salad
- Avocado Egg Salad – Light Recipe
Tagged with: cucumbers
, Greek Salad Dressing
, Greek Yogurt
, Gyros Sauce
, Souvlaki Sauce
, Tzatziki Dip
, Tzatziki Greek Dip
, Tzatziki Sauce