Chocolate Cake – Light Recipe
I spotted the original cake recipe on Pinterest, but made some changes to meet my current needs.
This turned out to be a very moist, and rich tasting chocolate cake. The cake recipe is on a light side, but the richness of the frosting is not so light.
The Cream Cheese and Peanut Butter frosting was a perfect combination of flavors and texture.
You may wish to visit the original recipe, but I will post my version with the changes I made.
This delicious cake is perfect for any occasion, but this time I am dedicating it to all Mothers.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Egg
- 1 1/2 cup Sour Cream, Light
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 2 tsp.Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Brewed Coffee (I used Hazelnut flavor), room temperature
- 1 cup Unsweetened Baking Cocoa Powder (Hershey's is my favorite)
- 2 cup Flour, all-purpose unbleached
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup water (for cake punch)
- 1/2 tsp. Grand Marnier liqueur or your favorite extract (Vanilla, Rum, Almond)- for cake punch
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg and brown sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the light sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl place the cocoa powder, and gradually mix in the cooled coffee, mixing continuously, until smooth mixture forms.
- Combine the cocoa mixture with egg mixture,and beat until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and whisk vigorously to combine mixtures.
- Line the bottoms of 2 cake pan with greased parchment paper (I use Crisco shortening).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and bake cakes 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Trim off the tops of the cakes, to make them flat.
- Prepare cake soaking punch by mixing 1/4 cup water with Grand Marnier, or with your favorite extract.
- Keep on dipping a basting brush into the punch and sprinkle over the top of each cake round, to moisten them generously.
- Prepare your favorite cake frosting ( I used Peanut Butter Cream Cheese frosting).
- Spread a layer of frosting on once cake round, and cover with second cake round, then frost top and sides of the cake.
- Use your imagination to decorate further. I used some frosting and mini chocolate chips.