Chocolate Varenyky (Perogie) – Vegetarian Recipe
If you like varenyky (dumplings, perogie, pierogi, or however you know them as) as much as you love chocolate, this is a dream come true recipe for you.
I have tasted many different varenyky fillings before, but this is my first time to make chocolate dough dumplings filled with farmer cheese and dark chocolate.
These type of varenyky are more suitable as a unique dessert, rather than a traditional meal.
You can use Dark Chocolate Hershey Kisses, dark chocolate chunks, or chocolate morsels, mixed with the cheese filling. For this recipe, I chose the chocolate kisses.
I tested several different ways of serving these Chocolate Varenyky:
- Drizzled with hot Dark Chocolate Fudge
- Hot Chocolate Fudge and whipped cream
- Hot Caramel Ice Cream Topping and a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream (my favorite)
- Plain as they are, sprinkled with powdered sugar, just before serving
As you can see, these Varenyky are shaped differently (resembling little purses), unlike the traditional ones (half-circles).
The dough was very thin, so I used a pizza cutter to cut 2.5 x 2.5 squares to accommodate the cheese and chocolate kisses filling, for easier handling.
### Please scroll down to the end of this post for a Printable Recipe ###
I also, tried the same cheese filling, however I mixed it with 1/4 cup of Nestle dark chocolate chips. I used the traditional varenyky shape to enclose the filling, and they were just as delicious.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour)
- 2 Tbs. butter, melted
- 1 cup warm water (or a little more if needed, to make soft, pliable dough)
- 6 Tbs. unsweetened Cocoa
- 2 Tbs. sour cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz Farmer Cheese (I used Friendship brand)
- 2 Tbs. powdered sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs. Corn Starch (or 1 Tbs. corn starch, plus 1Tbs. Wondra flour)
- 32 Hershey Dark Chocolate Kisses, or 1/4 cup of Nestle Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Mix together the flour and cocoa.
- Make a well in the middle.
- Add the water and butter, and make a soft dough.
- Place in a plastic bag, cover with a tea towel, and let it rest at least 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Flour a work area, and roll out the dough very thinly (2-3 millimeters).
- Use a pizza cutter and cut into long strips, 2.5 inches wide.
- Cut each strip into 2.5 inch square pieces.
- Place a tsp of cheese filling on each piece and place the chocolate kiss in the middle (as pictured above).
- Bring all four corners of the dough together, pinch the top and sides, to fully seal in the filling.
- Bring pot of water to boil.
- Place at least 10 dumplings into boiling water, stir gently with a wooden spoon, and bring to boil again.
- Cook for 4 minutes, once they float to the top.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a colander, to drain off.
- Serve warm as suggested above.
- These are also delicious preheated in a microwave, and served as suggested above.
- Place cheese, sugar, egg and salt, in a medium bowl.
- Mix gently with a fork, to incorporate all ingredients.
- Fold in corn starch. (If using chocolate chips, gently fold them in as well)
- Keep in the fridge, until ready to use.