Cranberry Orange Scones – Recipe
If you like scones, you will LOVE this recipe.
A while back, I made a batch of healthful scones, using a skinny recipe. They were tasteful, but not as moist and flaky as these Cranberry Orange Scones.
This recipe from Barefoot Contesa, produced the most delicious scones ever. I would not call them “skinny” by any means, but they are absolutely yummy.
Since I made some changes to the original recipe, I will post my version.
This recipe yields 20+ triangular shaped scones.
The dough is rolled out to a rectangle of about 3/4 inch in thickness, then ready to cut into strips, then into triangles.
Scones placed on greased parchment paper; tops brushed with egg wash; sprinkled with coarse sugar.
Once baked, they are cooling off on a wire rack, before glazing.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour ( I used Gold Medal unbleached)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. coarse sugar for sprinkling the tops of the scones (I used Cupcake Gems)
- 2 Tbs. baking powder (I use aluminum-free, Rumford brand)
- Zest of one medium orange
- 3/4 lbs. cold butter (3 sticks), diced(I used salted butter and skipped the 2 tsp. salt)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold (1/2 pint)
- 1 tsp. lemon or orange extract (optional)
- 1 cup dry cranberries ( I used 50 % less sugar)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (to use with cranberries)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs. water or milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar + 2 Tbs
- 4 tsp. orange juice, freshly squeezed (from the orange you just used for zest)
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Use a large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle mixing attachment.
- Pour in 4 cups of flour, orange zest, sugar and baking powder. Mix to incorporate.
- Add diced cold butter, and mix on low speed, until butter and flour becomes crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs with heavy cream, and extract.
- Slowly add to flour mixture, while mixing, until just blended.
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries with 1/4 cup of flour.
- Fold the floured cranberries into the sticky dough, by mixing on very low speed.
- Generously flour your work area, and scoop out the dough onto it to knead into a soft ball.
- Roll it out into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle, and cut out scones (see pictures above).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the oven rack in middle position.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with greased parchment paper. Space them fairly close together, about 1/2 inch apart, as they puff up rather than out, during baking.
- Brush tops with an egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 2o minutes. The tops will turn light golden color.
- Remove onto a wire cooling rack. Cool for about 15 minutes, then drizzle tops with prepared glaze.
- Beat egg with water/milk.
- Brush on tops of scones before baking.
- Mix in sugar, orange juice and lemon extract, to form a creamy substance.
- Drizzle over the tops of cooled scones.
2 thoughts on “Cranberry Orange Scones – Recipe”