Cream of Cauliflower Soup – Light Vegetarian Recipe
These cold winter days are calling for some hot, homemade soup.
Today I am posting my recipe for a Light Cream of Cauliflower Soup, served with a dollop of Light Sour Cream, and a piece of fresh garlic bread. Yum!
Eastern Europeans love to stir in some sour cream into most of their soups, as you might have noticed from my posts. Also garlic, is a staple in every kitchen, hence used in many recipes.
Cream of Cauliflower Soup – Delish recipe
- 1 whole head of cauliflower, roughly chopped (greens removed and discarded)
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbs. Canola or Olive oil
- 2 quarts Vegetable Broth (or Chicken Broth)
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs. Celery leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbs. Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. Frank's Hot Red Wings Sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp. Maggi seasoning (optional)
- In a large soup pot, place 2 Tbs. Canola oil. Add the onions, and cook until golden.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add carrots, celery, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Mix in chopped cauliflower, parsley and celery leaves, cover and cook about 15 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth, add corn, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan melt 1 Tbs. butter until light brown, mix in 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour, and saute 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Slowly continue adding little of milk at a time, while stirring, to make smooth paste, until all the milk is used up.
- Add Maggi seasoning, Frank's Hot Red Wing Sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- If sauce is lumpy, place it in a blender or food processor to smooth it out.
- Before adding sauce to the soup, using a slotted spoon, scoop out most of the vegetables from the soup, put them in a food processor, and pulse few times to puree. Then pour the puree back into the soup pot.
- Stir the sauce into the soup, add cheddar cheese, and bring to boil. Turn off heat.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.