Exotic Red Beet Salad – Recipe
It’s time to start getting my garden ready for winter…summer is almost over…so, I am using up all the veggies which are ready at this time.
I do not can any of my vegetables, but I do freeze parsley, dill, basil and sorrel.
I tried freezing chives last year, but the process changed their taste more than I cared for.
Today, I pulled out few red beets, to free up some space for the other ones.
I use beets in soups, borscht, and salads.
Today I will share a recipe for a delicious red beet salad.
Even if you never were a big fan of red beets, you should give this one a try, and I am sure you will LOVE it.
I had this salad at my friend’s house, and could not believe that red beets were the main ingredient, since all the other flavors added a very unique taste, and texture to this salad.
- 3-4 small red beets, cooked, and grated on a large eye grater (1 cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced ( I love my garlic chopper)
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise (or Greek Yogurt) see TIP below
- 1 Tbs sour cream
- 3 pitted prunes (or 1 Tbs raisins), coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Trim off leaves and roots from beets.
- Rinse under running water.
- Place beets in a pot, and fill the pot 3/4 full with cold water.
- Bring to boil, cover, and cook until beets are soft (about 45 minutes).
- Drain water, and let beets cool down.
- Scrape off their skin, and trim any rough spots.
- Shred on a grater with large eyes, or in a food processor.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients.
- You may serve the salad immediately, or cover and refrigerate for an hour, or overnight, for the flavors to blend.
If you plan to use Greek Yogurt rather than mayonnaise, you might want to use a little less of the wine vinegar, depending on your own taste.
10 thoughts on “Exotic Red Beet Salad – Recipe”