Kathy’s Three Layer Jello Dessert – Recipe
If you like jello desserts and you had a chance to check out my previous Jello Dessert post, where I promised to share a European recipe from my sister-in-law, for a Three Layer Jello mold.
This is one of my family’s favorite jello desserts because it can be made from regular jello, or sugar-free jello, without jeopardizing its texture, or taste.
The recipe is quite simple, but it does require a little patience, to allow for the waiting time between each layer, to completely solidify.
Even though this recipe is for only three layers, you can easily make it into 5 layers, by adding one more layer of jello (Lime or Grape), and splitting the cream cheese filling into 2 thinner layers (which I personally prefer to do).
### Please scroll down to the end of this post for a Printable Recipe ###
Once the refrigerated jello is completely set, spread the cream cheese/jello mixture over it. Smooth it out with a back of a spoon, or a rubber spatula.
Once the last cream cheese/jello layer is firm, decorate it with fresh fruits, pour the second cooled jello over it, and let it set in the fridge overnight.
- 2 - 6 oz. packages of Jello (regular of Sugar Free), your choice of flavor
- 1 - 2 oz. package of Lemon Jello
- 2 - 8 oz. packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla or Lemon extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring to boil, 1+1/2 cups of water.
- Mix one 6-oz package of jello into the boiling water.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a glass casserole dish, 9 x 13 inches.
- Set aside for about 15 minutes, until the jello stops steaming.
- Place the dish with the jello in the refrigerator, to cool completely, and to solidify.
- In a small saucepan, bring to boil 1 cup of water.
- Mix in the 3 oz package of Lemon Jello.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool, until saucy, but not solid.
- While the jello is cooling, place the cream cheeses into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the extract, and mix for few minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, and keep mixing until, light and fluffy (15 minutes)
- Set aside.
- Mix in the saucy Lemon Jello, until well incorporated.
- If the refrigerated jello is fully set by now, spread the cream cheese/jello mixture over it. Smooth it out with a back of a spoon, or a rubber spatula.
- Place it back in the fridge to cool, and solidify.
- Prepare another 6-oz. package of jello same way as the first one, with only 1 + 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool, but not to turn saucy.
- Once the cream cheese/jello layer is firm, pour the second cooled jello over it.
- Decorate to your preference. I used strawberry and grape slices.
- Cover with Saran wrap, place it back in the fridge, until cooled completely and solid, or overnight.