Portobello Veggie Burgers – Vegetarian Recipe
The Great Lent is here already, at least for the Eastern Rite Catholics, therefore I will share my new meatless recipe for Portobello Veggie Burgers.
These burgers are not only great for lent, but anytime when you feel like taking a break from eating meat.
If you wish to view a list of my previous 25 meatless recipes for the Lent season, please click on this link to enjoy.
These burgers may be served with a salad, as I did, but also on a bun with your favorite toppings.
This recipe yields 10 burgers (1.5 oz each).
Serve with your favorite topping, or with a dollop of Coarse Ground Dijon Mustard, as I did.
- 2 cups Portobello mushrooms, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbs. Olive or Canolo oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 2 cups Black Beans, separated to 1-1/2 c and 1/2 c
- 2 cups Broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 3/4 cup Panco crumbs
- Cooking spray, and olive oil
- Mash, or pulse in food processor, 1.5 cups of Black beans. Set aside the remaining 1/2 cup of beans.
- In a saucepan, add 1Tbs. oil, and saute the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed beans, mushrooms, onions/garlic, all seasonings.
- Fold in the broccoli and 1/2 cup of reserved beans.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs with Panco crumbs, quick oats, and Parmeson cheese.
- Fold into the bean mixture.
- Line a cookie baking sheet with foil paper, spray with cooking spray.
- Using 1/2 cup of mixture, form burgers.
- Place burgers on the greased pan, brush tops with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven, at 350 F, for 4 minutes per side, turning them over once halfway through.
- Remove from oven, brush tops with olive oil (optional), and serve.