Lentils With Mushrooms and Asparagus – Vegetarian Soup Recipe
I was searching for a healthful vegetarian soup recipe, and after reading the Fat Smash Diet recipes (pg.68), I came up with my own version of the Lentils with Broiled Mushrooms and Asparagus soup.
I used most of the ingredients in the original recipe, but increased the quantity, and applied a slightly different cooking process in completing it. Today I am posting my version, as I am quite pleased with the taste and texture of this hearty soup.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped (I used the bottom part of the celery bunch)
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped (2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup asparagus ends (the broken off woody part of the bottom of the asparagus stems)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (32 oz)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped, dry basil
- 1 1/4 cup lentils, dry
- 2 cups of water
- pinch of salt
- 8 oz. white mushrooms (1 1/3 cup cooked)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, steamed and chopped ( 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 Tbs. fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a 4 quart pot, and saute the chopped onions until translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots, asparagus ends, and celery.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add the vegetable broth and a Bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the Bay leaf.
- Puree it in an blender or food processor, and set it aside.
- While cooking the broth, cook the lentils and broil the mushrooms.
- Place 1 1/4 cup of dry lentils in a large bowl, cover with cold water and mix vigorously with a spoon or your hand to rinse well, then drain. Fill again with water and repeat this process 4-5 times until the water is fairly clear (the water will be cloudy and grayish looking after the first rinse).
- Place the cleaned lentils in a 2 quart pot, fill with 2 cups of cold water and a pinch of salt, bring to boil, and simmer semi-covered for about 20 minutes, until lentils are cooked but still a little tender. Overcooking them will turn into mush. Drain off any excess water and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, clean the mushrooms under running water, trim off the root ends and discard. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and broil 3 minutes on each side.
- Cool off, cut in half, then slice into 1/8 inch slices, set aside.
- Cut the asparagus spears into 1/2 inch sections, and steam them until al dente. Set aside.
- Pour the leftover water from steaming the asparagus, into the asparagus broth.
- Heat up 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a 6 quart pot. Add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, lentils, and asparagus.
- Place a colander over the pot and strain the pureed asparagus broth through it. Discard any solids remaining in the colander.
- Mix in the fresh chopped Italian Parsley, and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, turn off the heat, and serve it hot.
To adjust the thickness of this soup, you may add extra hot water or vegetable broth to thin it out.