Sauerkraut and Ribs – Crockpot Recipe
I have 3 different sizes of slow cookers, so one would think that I would use them often, but it’s just the opposite. I hardly ever use them, so when Maureen Locos Hewett shared this recipe for ribs with kraut prepared in a slow cooker, I decided to test it. It came out great! The meat was so tender…falling off the bones…and the kraut was very flavorful. The only thing I changed was that I used less broth, and more veggies…I added shredded carrots and chopped celery, plus some caraway seeds. I love caraway seeds in sauerkraut.
I also prepared chunky boiled potatoes, flavored with onions sauteed in butter, and a sprinkled with chopped fresh dill weed, to accompany each serving of the main dish. It was a perfect combination of meat and veggies.
I also removed the bones from the meat, before serving it in chunks, side-by-side with the kraut, as pictured above in the casserole dish.
- 1 (6 Quart Slow Cooker)
- 3-4 lb Country Style Pork Ribs
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Canola oil for sauteeing
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into strips
- 1 Granny Smith apple, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- (2) 32 oz bags of Sauerkraut (I use the Bavarian Style Kraut in a jar)
- 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, cut up to chunks
- 3 cups of low sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- Bay leaf
- Rinse the meat, and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Season the meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat a large skillet, and add 2 Tbsp. of canola oil.
- Brown the meat on all sides, remove and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if necessary, add chopped onions, and saute until translucent.
- Add shredded carrots and celery, and saute for 15 minutes, then add the shredded apple and saute 2 more minutes. Add the chopped garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse the sauerkraut in a colander, then place it in a large bowl.
- Combine the kraut with the sauteed veggies, chunky tomatoes, and caraway seeds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour 2 cups of the beef broth into the crock pot, and begin layering the meat alternating it with the kraut mixture, until all used up. The top layer should be kraut.
- Pour the last cup of broth over the top layer, add a bay leaf, and cover the pot.
- Cook on High for 5 hours (or on LOW for 8 hours).
2 thoughts on “Sauerkraut and Ribs – Crockpot Recipe”