Sauerkraut Salad – Recipe
Today I will post my favorite recipe for Sauerkraut Salad, which I like to make during the summer months to pair it with grilled meats. However, it is perfectly fine to be served any time of the year, and for any occasion.
- 2 lbs of sauerkraut (I prefer it packaged in a plastic bag, rather than canned)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded on a large eye shredder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs of fresh dill, chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, or canola oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Place the sauerkraut in a colander, and slightly rise it under running water, if you do not like your salad very tart.
- Let the water drip off, then squeeze it out dry.
- Remove onto a chopping board, and chop through once.
- Place the sauerkraut in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix in the shredded carrots, chopped onion, and dill.
- Mix in oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Ready to serve, or cover and chill for later use.
This salad still tastes great even a week later, if tightly covered and refrigerated.