Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna – Passover Recipe
Passover is a religious holiday for the Jewish people, but besides the spiritual part, the secular part includes lots of delicious food.
Most holidays, no matter if they are religious or secular, include large gatherings of family and friends, and lots of food to share with everyone.
Since this is the season for Easter and Passover, I will be sharing some of my recipes with all of you to try out and would like to hear your comments.
Even if you do not celebrate any of these holidays, you still can try the recipes and enjoy the food.
Today I will share another recipe from Andi, for Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna, which she prepares for their Passover gathering.
I modified this recipe slightly, since I used fresh veggies, as I did not have the veggie crumbles, on hand. I also used spinach and carrots, instead of mushrooms.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan Cheese over the top of the lasagna.
Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella Cheese over the top of the baked casserole, then bake for 10 more minutes.
- 4 Matzoh Sheets (I used 5)
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese (I used Park Skim)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 tsp. Basil
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 oz. chopped spinach, frozen
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. of Canola oil, or margarine
- 1/2 cup cubed carrots, frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 oz. jar of Ragu ( I used Perego Chunky Veggie Sauce )
- Warm up a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add oil, and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the chopped frozen spinach, and saute until thawed.
- Microwave the carrots until thawed (45 seconds).
- Mix the Ricotta Cheese, 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese, 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, salt and pepper, Basil and Oregano.
- Add egg, and mix it in.
- Set aside.
- Mix the spinach with the carrots, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- Use a square 8 x 8 glass pan, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Wet two slices of Matzoh sheets with water, and lay over the sauce.
- Place 1/2 of the Ricotta Cheese mixture over the Matzoh Sheets.
- Spread some tomato sauce over the cheese, and top with 1/2 of the spinach/carrot mixture.
- Wet one more piece of Matzoh Sheet with water.
- Place it on top of the spinach/carrot mixture.
- Spread the remaining Ricotta Cheese mixture, sauce and spinach mixture.
- Wet two more pieces of Matzoh sheets with water.
- Place them both over the spinach mixture.
- Pour Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan Cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake lasagna on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes.the rest of the tomato sauce over the top and sides of the lasagna casserole.
- Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella Cheese over the top, and bake for 10 more minutes, or until cheese melts,and browns slightly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- If you are not planning to serve this meal the same day, do not add the Mozzarella cheese until reheating before serving.
7 thoughts on “Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna – Passover Recipe”