Veggie Burger – Recipe
I love all varieties of vegetables, as well as Falafel, so I figured a veggie burger would make a great addition to my favorite vegetarian meals.
I purchased frozen veggie burgers made by Veggie Medley by Gardenburger, and really liked them, which prompted me to search for recipes online to customize one to satisfy my taste.
I enjoy preparing my own food at home and have control over the fat, salt, and sugar contents in it.
This recipe is perfect for The Fat Smash Diet.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- 6 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 egg white
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
- Stir in corn, mushrooms, scallions, and bell pepper.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- Add carrot and brown rice and stir to combine.
- Add egg white and season with salt and pepper.
- Add some quick oats or more brown rice, if the mixture does not hold together.
- Shape mixture into 6 disks and place on a plate.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in non-stick skillet and cook veggie burgers until golden on each side.
I like to eat these veggie burgers plain in Phase I and II, but in Phase III, there is a choice of whole wheat bread or whole wheat muffin to serve these on. Veggie Burgers, just like brown rice, are now part of my new food list, which I learned to enjoy.