Very Moist Cornbread – Recipe
I will share a cornbread recipe my daughter tried last year, and everyone really enjoyed it, so hopefully you will to. It is very light, moist, and savory, which makes it that much more interesting.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 15 oz can cream- style corn
- 2 oz (1/2 can) chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine melted butter and sugar, and beat well together.
- Add cream-style corn, chili peppers, and both cheeses.
- Blend well together.
- Mix together dry ingredients; flour yellow cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the mixture, and blend in well.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Dust lightly with flour.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the greased pan.
- Smooth the top evenly with a spoon.
- Bake on the middle oven rack, for 1 hour.
- Cool completely before serving.
I use Vegetable Crisco Shortening to grease my baking sheets. I know some bakers use butter, but I think butter burns much faster, so I prefer Crisco Shortening.