Apple Torte with Caramel-Nut Glaze – Recipe
If you love Tortes, but have been looking for a lighter filling, rather than the traditional butter cream one, this is a great recipe for you. The cake layers are very thin, and the filling is mostly apples, with a nice caramel glaze.
My sister-in-law shared this recipe with me, and I tried my best to convert the metric measures to cups, and spoons.
She actually has a nice collection of really great recipes, but they need some modifications here and there, to make them more precise.
This torte is quite easy to assemble, and to cut into serving pieces, since it is in a sheet cake form, rather than the usual round shape.
- 4 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 cup sugar, granulated
- 2 cups butter, unsalted
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbs sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- Sift the flour with baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Grate the butter on a large eye grater, over flour.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut together the flour and butter.
- Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract, and sour cream.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, and form dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Grease and flour, three sheet cake pans, 9 x 13 x 2.
- Spread evenly 1/3 portion of the batter, in each pan (I placed scoops of the batter all over the pan, then using the back of a spoon, I spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and bake the cakes for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven, and cool off in the pans, loosening up around the edges for easier removal.
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 8 apples, pared, cored, and shredded on a large eye shredder (I used 4 Granny Smith, and 4 Gala)
- 1 single package of lemon, or orange jello ( I used orange, but next time will try the lemon)
- 1 Tbs. of butter
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
Directions for Apple Filling:
- Heat a large frying pan, melt the butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in shredded apples.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover pan, and saute for 10 minutes. Mixing occasionally.
- Mix in the jello powder, and lemon juice.
- Remove from the heat, and set aside to cool off.
- Remove one of the cakes from a pan (read comment below the post), and lay it on a serving platter, or tray (I used a large cookie sheet, lined with aluminum foil).
- Divide the apple filling in half.
7. Spread first half of the filling over the first cake.
8. Place the second cake over the filling.
9. Spread the second half of the apple filling over this cake.
10. Cover it with the third cake.
11. Set aside.
Caramel-Nut Glaze Ingredients:
- ¾ cup chopped nuts (I used Pecans)
- ¾ cup sugar, granulated
- 3 Tbs. milk
- 3 Tbs. honey
- 5 Tbs. butter
Directions for Caramel-Nut Glaze:
- Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, and cook for 1 minute.
4. Cool slightly, and score the top of the glaze all the way through, to the first cake layer, to prepare for easier
cutting into serving pieces, later on.
5. Once the glaze cools completely, you may continue to cut through the other layers of the cake, to form serving
pieces. Otherwise, may cover the cake with aluminum foil, and store it in the refrigerator, until ready to serve, at
which time you will cut it up into serving pieces.
TIP: This cake is firmer right after assembly, but later on the cake layers pick up the moisture from the apple filling, and become very moist. The Caramel/Nut glaze tends to separate slightly away from the top of the cake, so for serving ease, I arranged my serving pieces on a serving platter, in individual cupcake liners. For a better presentation, I trimmed about 1/2 inch of f , from all the sides of the cake, before cutting it into serving pieces.