Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms and Sauce – Quick and Inexpensive Meal
There are those days when I am looking for an easy, quick, and inexpensive meal idea, yet nutritious at the same time. One which will not require running out to the store for any missing ingredients.
Today, I had one of those days, and after checking my food supply in my pantry and fridge, I decided on a pasta meal with mushrooms and sauce.
It it not a casserole, so no baking involved, and the pasta sauce was ready made. All I had to do is to cook the pasta, saute the mushrooms, and mix it all together. Quick and easy, wouldn’t you agrees?
I had two packs of mushrooms, since they were on sale on my last food shopping , so I bought two for the price of one..great deal on Portobello Mushroons.
I also had some fresh Tuscany Bread, fresh garlic (I never run of of this food staple), so I was able to make homemade garlic bread to serve with our meal.
This meal will serve your whole family, for the price of one serving at a local restaurant.
- 8 oz of Portobello Mushrooms (1 small pack)
- 15 oz Bertolli Sauce (I used Four Cheese Rosa)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil (for sauteing onions)
- 2 cups of uncooked pasta (1/2 box )
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Rinse mushrooms, or wipe off with a damp paper towel (I rinse them).
- Trim off the stem ends.
- Peel off the skin from the mushroom's tops (optional).
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Heat up a frying pan with the olive oil (also fill up a medium pot with water, and bring it to boil, for the pasta).
- Add chopped onions and saute until translucent, and starting to turn golden color.
- Add chopped garlic and saute another minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 2 cups of raw pasta to the boiling water, and cook pasta to al dente.
- Drain cooked pasta, and put back into the pot.
- Add the sauce to mushrooms, and cook until it start to bubble.
- Add sauce to pasta, and mix well.
- Pasta is ready to serve.
- Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on top of pasta, just before serving