Speculoos Cookies – Recipe
This year I tried a new cookie recipe for Speculoos Cookies, to cater to my grandchildren who do like chocolate or have food allergies to certain ingredients in some of my other cookies.
This recipe is a combination of several I found online, hence instead of a link, I will list all the ingredients and directions I incorporated into it, as well as my own picture of the finished product. They are simple to make and delicious to enjoy!
This recipe yields about 16 cookies, using a medium-size cookie cutter.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalter butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the softened butter with the brown sugar and mix until creamy and fluffy (about 10 minutes), scraping the sides often.
- Mix in the eggs to combine evenly.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, and continue mixing until a soft dough ball begins to form.
- Remove the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, knead it about a minute. Divide into 2 parts, and flatten each into a disk. Wrap each in a plastic wrap, and keep refrigerated for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Remove one disk of dough at a time, work it gently with your hands to soften it a bit, then place it between two pieces of parchment or wax paper and roll out into a 1/4 inch thickness, or even 1/2 inch if you wish (imine were 1/4 inch to accomodate the design on my cookie cutter). I also was dipping the cookie cutter into the flour, between each application to prevent sticking.
- You may use your favorite cookie cutter, or even cut them into 1" by 3" rectanagles.
- The dough tends to stick a little to the parchment paper, so you may use a small spatula dipped in flour to lift the cut out cookies and place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Make sure you leave at least 1 inch space between the cookies, to allow for spreading during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, leave your oven rack in the lower middle of the oven, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave on the baking sheet for a minute or so, then remove onto a cooling rack to cool off completely.
- Store in an air tight container in a dry, cool place.