Spinach Omelette – Suburban Recipe
The beauty of living in the suburbs is the access to plenty of space for gardening, rather than cramping it in pots on your balcony, or patio.
My spinach is thriving this year, so my first harvest produced enough tender fresh leaves to make two spinach omelettes for breakfast, and a salad for dinner.
Today I will share my recipe for the spinach omelette.
Yields 2 servings.
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbs. milk, or light cream
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 slices of Swiss or Provolone cheese
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 sweet mini peppers, optional (I used 1 red and 1 orange)
- 4 ham slices (I used deli cooked ham)
- Hot sauce - for serving (optional)
- Chopped Dill Weed for garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 Tbs. of canola oil on a medium frying pan. Add chopped onion and saute 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you are using sweet peppers, add now and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add chopped garlic, and saute for about 1/2 minute.
- Stir in chives and fresh spinach leaves.
- Cook until wilted (less than 1 minute).
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika, Italian Seasoning.
- Roll up ham pieces.
- Push the spinach mixture to one side of the pan, place the rolled ham next to it, and heat on both sides, turning it over once halfway through.
- Set pan aside for now.
- Beat eggs with milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper, for about 1 minute.
- Heat 1 tsp butter or oil on a small frying pan, and pour in 1/2 of the egg mixture.
- Cook until set. I like to use a small spatula to frequently lift up the edge of the setting egg mixture, to let the liquids run under and cook evenly. Once most of the liquid is cooked, gently flip the eggs over (using a large spatula), to cook the other side.
- Place 1 slice of cheese on top of eggs, top off with 1/2 of the sauteed spinach mixture.
- Using a spatula, lift one side of eggs to fold over the filling, to form a half-circle omelette.
- Cook couple of seconds, then lift and flip it over, to get the other side golden brown.
- Slice 2 ham rolls into diagonal pieces, and set aside.
- Remove omelette onto a serving platter, garnish with fresh spinach leaves, chopped dill, and ham slices.
- Use remaining eggs and spinach to prepare the second omelette.
- Serve as is, or drizzle with hot sauce.