Baked Zucchini Fritters – Casserole Recipe
Zucchini season is in full swing in my garden.
My summer squash is not doing so hot, but zucchini is making up for it with its abundance.
Today I would like to share a recipe for Baked Zucchini Fritters in a casserole.
Quick, easy, nutritious and tasty….why would anyone even think of asking for anything more :-).
- 1 large zucchini, or 2 medium ones, grated on a large eye grater (trim off ends, do not peel)
- 1 large carrot, or 2 medium ones, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh Dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. Oregano seasoning
- 4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbs. breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray, or olive oil to grease the casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 425 o F.
- Grease a 9 x 9 glass casserole dish with cooking spray, or olive oil. Sprinkle bottom and sides with 2 Tbs. of breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Grate the zucchini, carrot and onion into a colander.
- Squeeze out as much of the liquid out of the grated veggies, as possible.
- Spread it on a double thickness of paper towel, and use more paper towels to blot out additional moisture. The dryer the mixture the better.
- Place the zucchini mixture in a medium bowl, add minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped dill, and oregano.
- Add salt and pepper to the beaten egg, and mix it into the zucchini mixture.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, and fold it in as well.
- Scoop the zucchini mixture into the casserole dish, and spread it evenly, using the back of a spoon.
- Bake 35 minutes, until lightly browned on top, and edges crisped up.
- Cool to room temperature, before cutting into serving pieces.
These may be served plain as a vegetable side dish, or as a light meal with a dollop of sour cream, or Greek Yogurt.