Twenty Five Meatless Meals For The Great Lent
On Monday, February 20th, the Eastern Right Catholics begin their First Day of The Great Lent.
The Roman Catholics have until Ash Wednesday, for The Great Lent to begin.
This period of 40 days, ending on Easter Sunday, calls for an increased spiritual awareness, humbleness, and meatless meals on Fridays, and optional on Wednesdays.
Those who love meat in their daily diets, might find it challenging to prepare meatless meals, even if it’s only once or twice per week.
Have no fear, Suburbangrandma is here to offer TWENTY FIVE meatless meals suggestions.
- Varenyky (Perogy) – Filled Dumplings.
- Palushky - Potato Dumplings, also knows as Lazy Perogy, or Gnocchi.
- Halushky – Pasta with cabbage.
- Vegetarian Holubtsi - Cabbage Rolls.
- Crepes - Nalesnyky.
- Tuna Melts – warm, open face sandwiches.
- Veggie Burgers – very tasty and healthy.
- Tomato Soup – homemade version.
- Fruit Filled, Steamed Dumplings – so light and fluffy.
- Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna – much lighter than the traditional pasta.
- Ukrainian Traditional Borscht – Red Beet Soup.
- Pasta with Mushrooms – quick and easy.
- Grilled Salmon – very tasty, even if seafood is not your favorite choice.
- Homemade Apple Fritters – not just for breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Palushky - gnocchi.
- Pasta with stir-fry veggies – light and tasty.
- Sorrel Borscht – Shchav soup.
- Easy Red Beet Borscht – use Veggie Broth for vegetarian version.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – use Veggie Broth for vegetarian version.
- Corn Potato Soup – use Veggie Broth for vegetarian version.
- Stuffed Green Peppers – with Rice and Mushrooms.
- Stuffed Red Peppers - Bulgar (replace turkey with veggies).
- Zucchini Casserole - so good and simple.
- Potato Balls – Knedle.
- Potato Pancakes - suitable as a main course with side dishes.