Broccoli Salad – Recipe
One of our presidents admitted that he does not like broccoli, but none the less, it is a popular veggie in the US, and equally gaining in popularity in Europe.
Broccoli is mostly served cooked or steamed, but lately it has been making its way up to the top of the list as a veggie served raw, with dips, or in salads.
I will share my recipe for a raw broccoli salad, which is great any time, and very appropriate for picnics, and parties.
Very refreshing veggie salad, and easily modifiable to a vegetarian version.
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli florets, cut up to bite size pieces
- 2 carrots, shredded on a large eye shredder
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 slices bacon, cooked to a crisp, and crumbled (or use bacon chips/crumbs)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Light Mayonnaise (I use Hellmann's Light)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs sugar
- In a large bowl combine all veggies.
- Toss with Cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, prepare the salad dressing, by mixing together mayonnaise, sour cream, and sugar.
- Add to broccoli salad mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with bacon crumbs.
- Chill until serving.
For a vegetarian version of this salad, omit the bacon crumbs, and add chopped nuts or dried fruits, such walnuts and raisins, or cranberries.
Also, if you are not a big fan of mayonnaise, you may use Greek Yogurt.