Couscous Salad – Vegetarian Recipe
I have been searching for recipes with couscous and chickpeas, and came up with this combination which I am sharing today. It is such a fun vegetarian dish for healthful eating, and a great addition to my recipes for the Fat Smash Diet (check out this link), and for Lent (check out this link).
Since I have read so many different recipes, and created my own version from all these combinations, I am not able to pinpoint any particular one for you.
I will post my version, but you can play around with it as well, and change it to suit your taste, or make it my way.
This salad may be prepared 1-2 days before serving. This recipe yields about 6 cups of salad.
You may also add some avocado slices at serving time, or sprinkle it with shredded cheese, or even add some chopped up cold cuts to made a “stick to your ribs” lunch or dinner.
- 2 cups couscous, cooked
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 29 oz can of Chickpeas, rinsed well
- 2 Tbs. onions, chopped (yellow or red)
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 2 Plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Orange Pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup Craisins
- 3 Prunes, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbs. Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Tbs. Wine Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Mix all Dressing Ingredients in a medium bowl, and whisk well to form a smooth dressing. Refrigerate it for now.
- In a medium pot,bring 1 cup of water to boil, add 1 cup of couscous, stir, turn off heat, cover and let it sit until all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Fluff it up with a fork, and set it aside.
- Remove plastic sleeve from the English Cucumber, wash the cucumber, trim off both ends, cut it lengthwise into quarters, then slice crosswise to dice it. Place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Dice all remaining veggies, add to cucumbers.
- Add rinsed Chickpeas.
- Toss gently all veggies, to distribute them evenly.
- Fold in couscous, using a spoon.
- Pour in the dressing, and toss gently to coat veggies evenly.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve as is, or with a side dish of diced avocado, sliced hard boiled eggs, or cut up cold cuts.