Honey Cake with Buttercream and Jam – European Recipe
This Layered Honey Cake recipe was born today due to the leftover buttercream from making my Shortbread sandwich cookies.
It is a very simple recipe to make, as you begin with baking a fluffy honey cake on a 13″ x 18″ cookie sheet, then cutting it into 3 even sections and layering them with buttercream and your favorite jam, then drizzling it with a glaze.
This recipe yields 10 large, or 20 medium-size serving pieces.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch or salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS. rum or your favorite extract or liquor
- In a medim mixing bowl place egg yolks and sugar, and mix until thick, fluffy and light yellow color (about 1 minute on high speed).
- Mix in the honey and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl mix the baking soda with the vinegar, and add to egg mixture.
- Add melted butter, and mix well to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, cinammon, allspice and cloves.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients until well combined.
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites to stiff peaks (about 1 minute on high).
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13"x 18" cookie sheet with parchament paper, and grease well bottom and sides.
- Pour the batter onto the parchment paper and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Bake it for 18 minutes, on the middle oven rack.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove it onto a cooling rack, discard parchment paper and cool completely.
- Trim 1/2 inch off all edges of the cake.
- Cut the longer side of the cake into 3 even sections (around 5" x 10" each)
- Spread buttercream over one of the cake sections.
- Spread the jam over the top of the second cake section.
- Place the jam side piece over the buttercream, and press it gently together.
- Spread the jam over the top of the second cake section, then spread the buttercream over the third cake section.
- Place the third cake section, buttercream downward onto the jam of the second cake section.
- Press down gently.
- Set aside.
- Prepare Sugar Glaze by mixing powdered sugar and rum into a smooth thin cream.
- Place the glaze in a small ziplock plastic baggie, make a pin hole in one corner and drizzle glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
- Keep it refrigerated until few minutes before serving, to preserve the buttercream.
Butter Cream ingredients:
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature ½ cup cream cheese (4 oz), room temperature ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Butter Cream Filling Instructions:
Whip the butter with vanilla extract until fluffy and pale in color, about 5 minutes. Gradually add in the cream cheese, continue mixing until well incorporated. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until peaks form, but do not overbeat it so it does not turn into butter. Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream into the butter/cream cheese mixture. Don’t overmix it so it does not separate. Cover and set aside.