Red Beets Vinaigrette – Recipe
Red Beets are not a very popular vegetable for many people in the U.S.A., but they have moved up a couple of notches during the past year.
There are many ways to use red beets in cooking, but for the Eastern European cooks, the ever-famous Red Beet Borscht is one of the more popular dishes prepared using red beets. Red beets salads are very often used as a side dish with the main course meal, in many Polish and Ukrainian cuisines.
Red Beets Vinaigrette (Burachky – in Ukrainian, or Cwikla – in Polish) is also a very popular way of preparing red beets, and one of the “must have” foods for the Easter Basket Blessing for Easter Brunch. Horseradish with red beets is also part of the Seder meal at Passover.
For those of you who do not care much for this vegetable, the Red Beets Vinaigrette might be the way to win you over.
Here is my recipe for Red Beets Vinaigrette, which is included in for my Easter Basket.
- 3 Red Beets, medium size (size of an apple)
- 3 Tbs White Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 3 tsp Prepared Horseradish (or you can grate some fresh horseradish root)
- Pinch of Salt
- Rinse the beets, trim off and discard the stems, leaves, and the thin roots.
- Place beets in a medium size pot filled with cold water (enough water to extend a couple of inches above beets).
- Bring to boil, and cook until beets are soft when tested with a fork or a toothpick (about 20 minutes).
- Drain off the water, and let the beets cool off.
- Peel the beets (the skin will slide off very easily).
- Grate on a fine grater, or puree it in a food processor.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (suitable for storage for a week or so).
- Taste it again before serving, you might need to add more vinegar or horseradish for a more piquant flavor.
You may keep the stems and leaves of the beets, provided they looks resh and firm, and use them in cooking your red beet borscht. Also, some cooks chop them up and saute them with onions and garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper and used as a side dish to a main course meat meal.
10 thoughts on “Red Beets Vinaigrette – Recipe”