Super Bowl – Party Food
Here we are again, planning another Super Bowl party, and searching for party food ideas.
Well, since you are reading this post, you’re already in the right place. There is no better place than grandma’s kitchen, Suburbangrandma, that is!
All the recipes I post are either prepared by me personally, or I have sampled them elsewhere, loved them, and posted them for you to enjoy.
This time I decided to post a very simple recipe, but quite presentable, and very well liked by my family, for years .
These are open face sandwiches, canapes, also know to my family as “kanapky”.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 Tbs Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix
- 2 large loves of rye bread (40 slices)
- 3 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4 pickles, sliced thin
- 6 eggs, boiled and sliced thin (use an egg slicer, for best results)
- 1 Lbs of ham, cooked, smoked, or your your choice – sliced on a thinner side as well
- 20 slices of American cheese, white or yellow
- Chives or scallions, chopped (to sprinkle on top for a fresh look, and to enhance the aroma)
- Mix the cream cheese, butter and salad dressing mix.
- Set aside.
- Remove the smaller end from the loaf of bread, if you are using bakery loaf. If you are using a prepackaged bread without the ends, then you are all set.
- Cut the cheese slices in half diagonally (forming triangles)
- Fold each slice of ham in half, or cut in half it you plan to use only that much on each sandwich.
- Get ready all the sliced ingredients: eggs, tomatoes, pickles.
- Spread the cheese/butter mixture on each piece of rye bread (rather sparingly)
- Place a piece of ham on top of the spread
- Place a piece of cheese on top of ham
- Arrange nicely a slice of pickle, slice of an egg, and slice of a tomato on top of the cheese slice.
- Sprinkle lightly with chopped chives or scallions.
If you are looking for additional ideas, and recipes, you may check these out: